As a mom of 4, I constantly need easy go-to recipes for last-minute dinners. My kid's lives are starting to get so hectic, and some days I don’t have time to plan ahead. Thankfully, I have a recipe like this delicious Shredded BBQ Chicken crock pot or instant pot meal to turn to.
Whether your chicken is frozen or thawed, or whether you have time to throw it into a crockpot in the morning or during lunch or need to toss it into an Instant Pot, this recipe covers all the bases.
Meal Ideas for easy BBQ chicken crock pot or instant pot
There are so many meals you can make with shredded chicken.
An easy favorite is crockpot shredded chicken sandwiches.
A significant aspect of this BBQ chicken crock pot or instant pot recipe is its versatility. We love to double the recipe, eat it with buns and a roasted veggie and salad on the side.
A chicken bbq salad is a great way to make a meal with this recipe.
For healthier options- this shredded BBQ chicken is divine when mixed in with a basic salad of spinach, tomatoes, mini sweet peppers, cucumbers, and a little salad dressing of choice. Delish!
Then for leftovers, my kids love to throw the chicken into a pan with tortillas and cheese for a scrumptious BBQ Chicken Quesadilla.
A Little Healthier Option
Try making your own BBQ sauce: like Coach Michelle’s Homemade Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce. It takes a little more prep work, but can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week! Making your own BBQ sauce allows you to adapt it to your needs or desires.
Subscribe to get access to resources, event details, coaching, and be the first to receive the latest recipes, interviews, and more.
Mealtime conversation starters
Creating conversations that make you laugh, let you ponder, see another's point of view, or get to know a bit more about another person are oh so memorable.
Here is a conversational pairing that will have your companions battling it out to see who really has the most unique taste buds.
“What nationality of food do you enjoy the most?
BONUS QUESTION: “Do you cook that nationality of food at home, or do you get it elsewhere?”
Easy Shredded BBQ Chicken Crock Pot or Instant Pot
In case there's a piece of equipment or ingredient that you don't have, you can conveniently order it by clicking on the item. Balanced Healthstyles may earn on qualified purchases, which help maintain the free resources on this site -- Thanks for your support!
- 2 lbs chicken breast raw, thawed or from frozen
- 1 cup chicken broth optional, for instant pot version only
- 2 tbsp worcestershipe sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp no-salt seasoning optional
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce for cooking
- ½ cup BBQ sauce add after cooking and shredding
- Layer chicken in Crockpot or Instant Pot.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce, seasonings, and ¼ cup of BBQ sauce.If making in the instant pot add 1 Cup of chicken broth to the pan before adding chicken, otherwise chicken will burn
- Cover and cook according to the directions in notes for slow cooker or instant pot depending in you started with thawed or frozen meat.
- Once cooked, take chicken out of cooker and place into a big bowl. Shred chicken in whatever manner you chose (with 2 forks, 1 knife and a fork or an electric mixer).
- Pour sauce from cooker all over shredded chicken, then add ½ cup of BBQ sauce and toss to coat.
- Crockpot Cook Time- Frozen: High 5 hours
- Instant Pot Cook Time- Frozen: Pressure High 20 minutes
If making in the instant pot add 1 Cup of chicken broth to the pan before adding chicken, otherwise chicken will burn.
Hand Size Portions
When you look at the nutritional values of a meal to log what you are eating, that is called tracking macros. A lot of people use this method to reach their health goals.
Looking at hand portion size and using this method to gauge how and what you eat is also a great method to help you reach your health goals. Many people who use this method often think this form of tracking meals is easier and more sustainable for a lifetime.
Want to learn more about hand portion size and how to use it to reach your goals? Check out the article How to Get Started with Hand Portion Sizes.
Sweet and inspiring, Britt Nelson is a wellness coach and mom of 4, devoted to helping women redefine what wellness and fitness looks like to them, in a balanced and compassionate way.
When she is not coaching or chasing after her children, you can find her spending time with close friends and family, trying new recipes with one of her brothers, or listening to music, a good book, or a podcast.
Find other articles written by Coach Britt on her coach profile. She will help you ‘tune in’ to your body, and find a balance amidst the chaos.